Thursday, January 16, 2014

The Wrong Time to Switch

I just moved into a new house and now have to pay for all my services like gas, garbage and internet. After living a month without internet at home, and realizing that Google Fiber won’t be coming to my home anytime soon, I decided it was time to change and ordered internet last weekend. Unfortunately, I learned today that Net Neutrality, the idea that the internet service providers (ISPs) can’t limit the internet in anyway, is dead. Some arefurious about it, explaining that ISPs can limit content and charge fees for content. Others are for it as any kind of regulation by the government is in some way regulation and would limit the internet services more than if Net Neutrality stayed in effect. I oppose the idea of ISPs controlling what we have access to. What if Comcast (the service I just chose) had a huge argument with Google? It’s possible that Comcast would limit my access to all of Google services such as Gmail, YouTube, this blog or even the Google search engine. 

1 comment:

  1. Hopefully the existence of Google Fiber will be a motivator for Comcast to not pull that kind of shenanigan. They know that if they do, they're liable to lose paying customers.

    ReplyDelete